The museum houses a grand collection of Roman Stones which were found in and around the area of Narbonne and offered on display in the former church, Notre Dame de Lamourguier, the remains of a 13th-century Benedictine Monastery. It is a fine example of Southern Gothic art. There are over 1300 blocks of carved stone on display and constitutes one of the largest collections in Europe. Many of the stones were recovered from Roman grave sites and incorporated into the old ramparts of the city for decorative purposes. When the old ramparts were dismantled in the 19th-century, the stones were relocated to their current place of exhibition.
Make sure to click on the photos as it will make the carvings easier to view.